Several times a year, SAA schedules critique programs for SAA members. At each critique meeting, two or three artworks (paintings, drawings, sculptures, or carvings) are selected by members at the meeting as Artworks of the Month. These pieces are displayed at the last meeting of the year, in October, and from these, we vote for Artwork of the Year. The winning artist has his/her name engraved on a silver bowl, which the artist keeps for one year until the next October meeting.
- The artwork must be submitted by 1:30 p.m. on the critique meeting day.
- Artists may submit one piece of art per critique meeting.
- The artist must be present.
- Art must be dry and ready to hang or display. Watercolors must be matted but do not need to be framed.
- The artist’s name, the title of the piece, and the medium used must be noted on the back or bottom of the work.
- Guests may present art work to be critiqued.
- Three artworks will be selected by vote of the members present as Artworks of the Month.
- The winning artworks and artists will have their picture taken for the local newspaper. Winning artists are reminded to make themselves and their artwork available to the photographer immediately at the close of the meeting.
All critiques are conducted by professional artists and art instructors from Northern California or Southern Oregon.
Artists of the Month for March 2023!
From left to right, Joy Price with her watercolor, “Waiting for Ann,” Cindy Corrales with her oil, “Self Portrait,” and Donna Wolfe with her oil, “Cold Morning.”
Links to photos of past award winners organized by year below: